Tuesday, September 8, 2009

White After Labor Day

It is southern etiquette to not wear white after Labor Day. Growing up, my mom, who is from California, always told me to wear what I want to wear. She obviously didn't care about the rule. But being from North Carolina, many of my friends still stick to this rule today.
The rule is: wearing white is considered to be out of season before Easter and after Labor Day. It is "kind-of like when you see a girl wearing white pants in mid October...you think to yourself.."What the hell is she thinking out in public like that?!?! "
There is logic to this old rule, but I think it needs to be a little updated. I find there are several exceptions, like the big ones are: holiday white pants/jeans, or a christmas white sweater...or white for a winter bride. And what if you live somewhere warm all year round? Are you not
suppose to be able to wear white? Yeah right!
I most definitely sneak wearing white after Labor Day...wheather it is a white blouse for work or a plain white t-shirt with jeans. I couldn't imagine not being able to wear a white t for months!
Anyways Rachel Bilson obviously doesn't care about the rule either, saying, "Forget the old rules. I love white all year round. It's cooler to wear it when your aren't suppose to."

Do you where white after Labor Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment