Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Recipe of the Week: White Mac and Cheese

Ok so as I was reading over my last blog, which i do obsessively sometimes when I'm bored, I mentioned something about mac and cheese! Here is my favorite recipe, currently....

White Macaroni and Cheese


1 box whole-wheat elbow noodles ( i like to use shells, but you can use whatever you want)
1 (10 oz) package of frozen chopped broccoli (or fresh)
1 3/4 cups low-fat milk, divided
3 TBSP flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

1. Boil water and cook pasta for about 5 mins. Add frozen broccoli, for about 5 more mins. Stir until pasta and broccoli are tender.

2. Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 cups milk in a large pot over med heat, just until simmering. In a small bowl whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add flour mixture to the simmering milk; return to a simmer and cook. Whisk constantly, for about 2-3 min, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar and parmesan, until cheese is melted.

3. Drain pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce. Stir together, on med heat for 1 min.

This is a simple and easy recipe. And is pretty healthy compared to the rest of the macaroni and cheese recipes out there.
If you get around to trying this, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. We are totally on the same page here! I just posted a recipe for mac n cheese as well on my blog, except mine has tofu in it too! It is an attempt at a healthier version for sure. Now I am going to shamelessly plug my blog here: http://carving-tree.blogspot.com/2009/09/fan-favorite-mac-cheese.html

    Your recipe looks delicious!! I will have to make it, especially since it is practically already frickin snowing here (it did in the mountains!) and I am freezing my ass off. You would be so pissed!

    Love,

    sd

    ReplyDelete