Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Recipe of the Week: BLACK LENTIL AND COUSCOUS SALAD

I found this awesome recipe from Cooking Light. It is a light, meat free kind of meal. Actually this is the first time I have ever eaten black lentils. YUM! This dish was easy to make and I will definitely be making it again! I liked it because I felt healthy eating it and most veggie dished I make have tons of cheese in it. This one didn't! Ps-I left out the raisins b/c i don't like them.

I'm also sending this to my bff blogger friend at http://carving-tree.blogspot.com/ Check out her site- it is awesome!

Black Lentil and Couscous Salad from Cooking Light

1/2 cup dried black lentils
5 cups water, divided
3/4 cup uncooked couscous
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/3 cup finely chopped cucumber
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 TBSP chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil

1. Rinse lentils with cold water; drain. Place lentils and 4 cups of water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 mins. or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
2. Bring remaining 1 cup water to a boil in a med saucepan; gradually stir in couscous and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Remove from Heat; cover and let stand 5 mins. Fluff with fork. Combine lentils, couscous, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl.

Yield: 6 servings (1 cup each)

calories 175; fat 4.8g, protein 4.5g; carb 28.8g, fiber 2.8g, chol 0mg; iron 1mg; sodium 322mg,

1 comment: